Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Webpost 1: Class Survey


Hello! My name is Chloe Backman and I am from Broadview Heights, Ohio. I plan on going into the field of early childhood education and I would like to specifically teach 3rd grade. I also plan on potentially getting my 4th and 5th grade endorsement along with a minor in leadership.
So, here's a little bit of information about myself. I have been a cheerleader since the age of 9 and I am excited to continue on my passion here at JCU since I made the cheer squad. I have been playing the oboe for the past 9 years as well. I was in my high school's wind ensemble and chamber orchestra, I performed with many different groups, and I also joined JCU's Wind Ensemble. In my free time I love to workout, listen to music or hang out with my friends. Along with my different hobbies I also have some unique talents. I am double jointed in all of my joints and I can even lick my elbow! This is a real attention-grabber at parties! This semester I plan on making a name for myself here at John Carroll University. I do not hesitate to put myself out there or to ask questions in class no matter how ridiculous they may sound. I will try to get involved with many different organizations. I am already on the cheer squad and in the wind ensemble, but I am also in the Leadership Scholarship Program, I plan on joining a sorority, and I even just joined an intramural soccer team with some friends. I also set a goal for myself to try my hardest and do well in all of my classes. I would like to stay on top of my work and pay attention in class.

A quote by Ray Bradbury that describes me is “Love what you do and do what you love. Don't listen to anyone else who tells you not to do it. You do what you want, what you love. Imagination should be the center of your life.” I feel that this quote depicts my passion for becoming a teacher. Since I was in kindergarten I had my mind set on becoming a teacher some day. However my grandma, who was a teacher herself, tried to convince me not to become one. Since I consider teaching to be something that I love, I won't listen to anyone who tries to discourage it. I also feel that being a teacher involves a lot of creativity and imagination, which is also stated in the quote above. 

In order to feel comfortable taking intellectual and creative risks in a college classroom, a few things have to be in order. I consider myself to be a social person and like to get to know the people that I am working with. I like the smaller class sizes here at JCU because I feel as if I can really get to know the people that I am working with. That makes me more comfortable when it comes to asking questions and getting involved with the class discussions. I would feel very uncomfortable sitting in a big lecture hall surrounded by unfamiliar faces while barely even getting to personally know my professor. I feel that John Carroll gives me the right resources to feel comfortable in class.

All throughout high school, english was my favorite class. I always had straight A's and always set the curve on all of the tests in my classes. I begged my freshman and sophomore teachers to move me into advanced english, however they both felt that I would be too far behind. Finally, my junior year teacher saw my passion for english and agreed to let me move into AP Literature. I was very nervous about joining the class considering that I was jumping from an academic level to an advanced level. My literature teacher, Mr. Mulhall, made me feel very comfortable in the classroom setting. He pushed me to become a better writer, and my skills increased drastically throughout the course. I feel that thanks to Mr. Mulhall, my fire for english didn't die out and because of him, I was able to prove my freshman and sophomore teachers wrong. I was proud to say that I took the AP test at the end of the year and easily passed it. Mr. Mulhall had a significant impact on my life and we still keep in touch to this day.

Although I have wanted to become a teacher since a very young age, I have had some concerns of going into the field. I am nervous about job placement, since it isn't always easy to find a job in education.

To Professor Shutkin I ask, what is your advice on how to get a job? How hard is it to get into a good school district? What can I do to get my name out there?


No comments:

Post a Comment