Thursday, September 8, 2016

Blogpost #2

Becoming a teacher was something that has always been a passion of mine. Since the time that I was in kindergarden I had my mind set on it. All throughout elementary school, my teachers used to tell me that I would teach the class if I could. Now here I am in college and nothing has changed-I still would love to become a teacher. “Educational Foundations” helped me reflect what it would be like to become one.

Chapter One, Letters to a Young Teacher, depicted upon inner-city school teachers and the challenges that they face. I believe that to teach in this type of school district it takes someone with a distinct personality. Many of the problems that these teachers face are that the are unable to relate successfully to the children of minorities. Becoming an inner-city teacher was never something that I envisioned myself becoming. I have always pictured myself working at a suburban school, like the one I attended when I was younger. I feel as if I would have an easier time relating to this students in that type of classroom setting.

Chapter 2 mentioned a specific story from a substitute teacher, Mr. Gatto and a student, Milagros. Mr. Gatto saw something special in her, since she was learning at a much faster pace than the rest of her class. He fought for her to be moved into a more advanced class and succeeded. He served as an inspiration to this young girl. If it wasn’t for him, Milagros probably would not have ended up becoming a teacher herself. I hope to serve as this type of inspiration to students some day. Part of the reason why I want to be a teacher is because I want to be looked at as a good role model, and someone that kids can look up to. It would bring me great joy to know that I impacted someone’s life in a positive way.

Chapter 3 asked the question “why teach?” Well, that is a very good question with the way that you pretty much teach to help students pass yet another standardized test. I believe that adding creativity into the classroom is essential. Learning should be fun! Besides, I would really love to work with younger kids at the elementary age. These students are still forming in their personalities and behaviors and I would hope that I could impact their formation positively. I look forward to my future occupation and I can’t wait to make a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment