Thursday, September 29, 2016

Blog Post #4

Dear Senator Larry Obhof,

It has come to my attention that there has been a continuous conflict in regards to the conditions of school buildings throughout Ohio. In 2003, the Ohio Supreme Court even deemed, “that the system of school finance must undergo a complete systematic overhaul in order to remedy the unconstitutional educational system.” Even today in 2016 this still holds to be true in certain areas. The economic and political power in the locations of schools can lead to detrimental policies and practices. I think I speak for the majority of the population in Ohio when I say that these problems need to be addressed.
I am an alumni of the Brecksville-Broadview Heights School District, which is a predominantly wealthier area with good schooling. Even so, during my senior year of high school there were two incidences in which the school flooded due to problems with the plumbing, and there was even an occasion of the power going out for over an hour during lunch periods. That was only throughout the course of one year, and there have been many other incidences throughout my entire time as a student in the district. If these types of things are happening in a wealthier school district, it makes it hard to imagine some of the conditions that those must face in a more inner-city school type setting. Inner-city schools have lower economic and political power, and I think that special attention should be drawn to this. The students and staff both deserve to come to a safe and efficient working environment everyday and they should not have to worry about the conditions of the buildings. I feel that if extra money went in to fix these conditions, it would make for a better, safer education system.

I hope that you see my point and that this problem will be addressed, since it has gone on long enough.

Thank you for your time,

Chloe Backman

No comments:

Post a Comment