Friday, November 25, 2016

Field Post 6




  • On Friday, November 18th I went back to Chippewa Elementary School for the third time. Once again they started off with their typical Friday routine of morning announcements and desk organization. Following that they started off their lesson with reading Thanksgiving-themed poetry. They read out loud as a class and all actively participated. The last poem that they did was called "My Turkey Shot out of the Oven" and it is one that I remember reciting when I was in second grade. Each year on the Tuesday before Thanksgiving break Ms. Clancy's class recites this poem to the first graders, again, an activity that I did. After poetry Mrs. Clapper came in once again for another guidance counselor lesson, only this time the lesson was focused on body language. As this was going on Ms. Clancy put me to work. She had me grading papers and putting grades in the grade book. When the guidance lesson concluded Ms. Clancy explained the instructions for a station rotation activity that they would be doing. As this lesson was occurring she had me pull aside the student who were having a hard time with the subtraction problems they worked on last time I was there. I pulled them aside one by one and went through the steps on the problems that they needed help with. I found this to be a good way to get involved with the class. Following this it was once again time for music class. On this day they were doing music activities that related to Thanksgiving. One of the activities was a game called "Turkey Trot", which I also did when I attended Chippewa. It was a hit with the students and everyone had fun with it. At 11:30 Ms. Clancy picked up the class for lunch and I said my goodbyes. Only this time even more students hugged me as a left, even a couple of boys. I have really enjoyed working with these students as they are all great kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment