Friday, November 25, 2016

Field Post 5




  • On Friday, November 11th I went back for day two of my field hours. Once again the class started out with their desk organizations and morning announcements at 9:30. Following their morning routine the class started off with learning long subtraction problems, which Ms. Clancy mentioned to me was like pulling teeth since every year the students have a hard time grasping the concept. On top of that, the class was rowdier on this day and had a hard time sitting still. Ms. Clancy told them that she didn't "want a repeat of yesterday". Despite the fact that they were rowdy they still participated in the lesson and asked many questions about the subtraction. Ms. Clancy did a few problems on the board with them and then had them try it on their own. Once again, we would walk around the classroom and answer any questions that they might have. It was a good way to get me involved in the classroom and work with the kids. However, the lesson had to be put to a halt because the guidance counselor, Mrs. Clapper, came in to do a lesson. That particular lesson was about being respectful to others, and she had the students up and moving during the activity and they all had fun with it--I even got to participate! A half an hour later their lesson ended and the class transitioned into reading, where Ms. Clancy once again got me involved. She took the boys into the reading circle in the classroom while I took the girls into the rocking reading lounge in the main lobby and we each read them a different story from their book. The girls had a hard time sitting still and would get upset if other girls took their seat. I had to stop multiple times throughout the story to get their attention back and get them to stop talking or giving each other attitude over silly reasons. However, we were still able to finish the book just in time for music class with Mrs. Ferguson. The kids started out the class by dancing to a song about fall with colorful scarfs and then they had talent day. Two girls played the piano for there class: one girl played a quick song that she wrote herself while the other played a song from "Beauty and the Beast" and it sounded phenomenal for a second grader. I was an awe by how good she sounded for being so young and she is going to grow up to be a very talented musician. Music class ended and the students once again got ready for lunch. As I was leaving even more girls came up to me and gave me hugs, and once again it made me feel as if I did a nice job connecting with the students.

No comments:

Post a Comment